Oh, home buying. What a royal pain in the ass you are!
If you'll note the date (April 19), we are 6 days after our second supposed closing date. Spoiler alert - we still haven't closed on the house. I originally started writing this post when I was pretty rage-y, but time and a situation change have lead to a more level-headed post. Ha. So, here's the ramble-y story of our current house status.
Our original closing date was set for March 23. When our contractor didn't work out and we had to hire a new one, our closing date was pushed to April 13. At that point, we signed an addendum to our contract extending our closing date, and the seller...didn't. Which we found out just a few days before our new closing date. Cool. He had gotten it in his head that he could get more money for the house, and wanted to re-list it... even though he was about to get foreclosed on? Oh, and the house has been on the market since July with no takers. (Because trust me, no one is walking into that scary, scary place and declaring it their dream home... except us, of course.)
The whole thing was beyond frustrating and both Ryan and I were so disappointed. We'd already run into so many issues and jumped through so many hoops on the way to closing, only to find out that we'd never actually cross the finish line was enough to make us want to scream. I'm completely of the mindset that everything works out how it's supposed to, etc. but in that moment I was just angry.
So what happened next? We started the whole house hunting process over again from square one. It was slim pickins out there, but we found one house that we liked a lot. It had tall ceilings, a ton of natural light, and overall good vibes. It was also in one of our very favorite neighborhoods. We put an offer on it, and waited to hear back from the bank, since it was a foreclosure. That was on a Wednesday.
Monday came around and I got a call from Ryan. Long story short, our realtor had contacted him and said that the seller of the original house had thought things over (ahem, come to his freakin' senses) and wanted to offer us the house back. To which my response was - are you freaking kidding me?! We had finally come to terms with not getting that house - we had moved on! And then there it was, knocking at our door again. Ooof.
Since this is already epically long, I'll leave you with this: after much discussion and ado, Ryan and I decided to go back with the original house. So we are once again under contract, set to close on or before May 16. This is beginning to feel like the closing that will never actually happen, but I'm crossing my fingers and toes that this time around things go as planned.
I'm almost afraid to post this because I don't want to jinx anything... but I'm doing it anyway. If you've made it through this very wordy post... bless you!
Anyone have any good (and by good I mean bad) stories about delayed closings or house nightmares? Let's hear them in the comments!